A Quarter of a Century

     As of today, I have lived a quarter of a century.  I turn 25 years old.  Is my life where I expected it at this point of time?  Nope.  In reality, how many people are in the place they expected at a certain age?  If you would of asked be at age 18, when I had graduated high school, where I see myself at the age 25, my answer would be quite different from how my life is today.

     At the time of graduating high school, I would say that at the age of 25, I would be newly out of college, getting into the career that I dreamed of, living on my own with my best friends as my roommates, being a 4-H volunteer and having quite a few awesome adventures.  If you follow my blog posts or know where I currently am, I believe my 18 year old self would be disappointed.  I am still in college, with no true answer to when I will be graduating, still living with my parents, and currently have no job.  I do have some many adventures and I am a 4-H leader, so those things are true.  The big question is:  Does my 25 year old self feel the same disappointing that my 18 year old self would?   

     The answer is mostly no.  The world had changed since the time I was 18.  The economy had gone into recession, and many people my age are experiencing the same thing I am, or close to it.  Yes, I wont blame everything on the economy like a majority might at this time.  If I had been as serious about school as I am today back when I started college, I most likely would have been out by now.  I could have been in a good paying job and living on my own.  There are times that I regret goofing off in the beginning of my college career, but today I am proud that I got past the tough times, and sticked with it.  Especially when many people I know have dropped out of college, and their futures are not so bring in their career portion of their life.  

     I know that the first 25 years of my life have been amazing!  Yes, a few speed bumps, but who doesn't have speed bumps?  I have had so many opportunities and experiences, a loving family, and loving friends who will stick by my side in tough times and good times.  My life is good, and I can't wait to see what the future brings.  My birthdays are normally low key.  Just have a usual family bday dinner to a place of my choosing and a chance to hang out with my friends.  This year, because it is my 25th, things are different.  Instead of asking for gifts, or a usual family bday dinner, I asked for an trip.  I have traveled many places over California, but very shockingly I have never been to Santa Catalina Island.  A week from today, my family and I will be going for a small trip to Avalon, CA, on Santa Catalina Island.  This is my bday gift, and I am super excited.  Can't wait to get out there and to have more adventures.  

Here's to three more quarter centuries of amazing adventures and opportunities!   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Earning a Masters During a Global Crisis

Reflecting on 2016

Coming Out