Plan Formulation and Execution

     Since high school, my weight has been a struggle in my life, and in the past few years there have been attempts to begin losing.  Most had failed.  One major change that has been proven a major success occurred in January 2010, when I gave up drinking sodas and other drinks filled with Sugar while on a flight home from a trip to Lake Tahoe for 4-H.  At the time I quite drinking sodas, I weighted 265 pounds.  After giving up sodas, I knew I had to become more active.  In October 2010, I began walking 2.4 miles three times a week.  By time January 2011 came around, I was walking 3.0 miles almost every day of the week (excluding weekends).  Around April 2011, I had lost track and stopped walking.  In June, I began walking again three times a week, but kept losing track and not walking.  In August 2011, I went camping with two best friends in the Eastern Sierras.  In a 4 day period, we had hiked about 10-12 miles.  As I returned home from the trip, I needed a break from all the activity of the trip.  As time moved forward, I never got back into the pace of walking.  Every once in awhile, I would through in a walk or two knowing I needed to get back on track, but cold weather and motivation seemed to have been lost.  
     Around this time, people have noticed I had lost some weight, and hearing that brought joy to my spirits.  Amanda, my cuz who runs in 1/2 marathons and really focuses on health, has always pushed me to be healthier.  When I attend the 1/2 marathons to give her support, I would look at the many people who can do these things, and I felt I needed to get back into shape.  I lost track of time again, and never really got things put into order.  Two weeks ago, while working on my aunts farm as they were away on vacation, I took my weight.  The scale read I weighted 240 pounds.  I was amazed that I had lost 25 pounds since the day I stopped drinking sodas.  I knew it was time for me to get back on track to lose more.  
     Today is the day I had created a new plan and began to execute that plan.  A week ago, while browsing pinterest (a social networking board site) I found an exercise plan called Couch to 5K.  It is a training program to prepare you for a 5K run.  I got interested in looking at the plan.  This morning, I felt the need to get back on track, so I did a google search for the couch to 5K plan.  I found a website that had a plan all laid out by week.  I then decided to take my weight again to see where I was.  The scale here at my house showed my weight is 241 pounds.  Afterwards, I decided to create my own plan using the couch to 5k plan.  I posted exercise times on my google calendar, and set up reminders to help keep me on a time schedule.  Below is the 4 week plan I had created, and hope to expand in a month.


Week 1: 5 min walk, 2 min jog, 5 min walk. (Day layout: Run, Relax, Run, Relax, Run, Relax, Relax)


Week 2: 5 min walk, 3 min jog, 5 min walk. (Day layout: Run, Relax, Run, Relax, Run, Relax, Relax)


Week 3: 5 min walk, 4 min jog, 5 min walk. (Day layout: Run, Relax, Run, Relax, Run, Relax, Relax)


Week 4: 5 min walk, 5 min jog, 5 min walk. (Day layout: Run, Relax, Run, Relax, Run, Relax, Relax)


     I started out the plan right after I formulated the plan.  I just used my street my house was on, since it was flat.  It was around 10:30 that I set out on the 5 minute walk.  I didn't walk slow but I didn't power walk.  I kept a good speed.  The 5 mins felt to talk forever.  The 5 min mark hit, and I began to jog for 2 mins.  Everything seemed to work good at first.  After about a min, breathing began to get a little heavy.  By time the jog portion was over, I was breathing quite heavy.  The last 5 mins was a cool down period to get back to normal after the quick jog.  This would officially be the first time I had attempted to jog/run since P.E. class my sophomore year of high school.  It felt great to be out there and begining this plan.  


     Now that I have started the plan today, hopefully I will be able to stick to it.  My biggest worry will be when my summer explodes with all my events I will be traveling to.  At the end of week 4, I will be gone to the 4-H Summer Camp.  This is why I stopped making a plan at week 4.  I will tackle the plan again and work around my schedule as I get to that point.  


     My main goal from this is to get into the rhythm of exercising and getting into shape.  Two of my best friends, Matthew Smith and Kristen Weekes, is getting married in October, and I would love to lose more weight so I can look better in a tuxedo (I will be a groomsmen in the wedding). My cousin Amanda will be back from Afghanistan in the late fall, and if I stay on this plan, maybe we can run a 5K together.  I think running and completing a 5K would be a great accomplishment and goal at the end of this plan.  As time moves forward, I know I will be writing more posts about how things are going.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Earning a Masters During a Global Crisis

Reflecting on 2016

Coming Out