Vegas Weekend Getaway

On the weekend of May 11-13, my best friend Scotty and I traveled to Las Vegas for a weekend getaway. It was the first time I had been on the Vegas Strip since a family spring break vacation in 2000. Scotty is a thrill seeker, and he had always wanted to jump off the Stratoshpere and drive an exotic car on the Las Vegas Speedway. We were hanging out a few months before, and he had mentioned the trip. He asked if I was free. I took a look at my schedule, and low and behold it was the only free weekend for the month If May. I agreed to go. This short weekend getaway to sin city was something I needed with the many stresses of life happening.


Normally I would write a blog in details of the trip, but I am just not feeling up to the task (mainly due to how busy I am with school work at the moment) so I will just give a nutshell of the trip, just to have a record of the trip in this blog.


On Friday, Scotty and I had left around 4:30ish pm for Sin City.  Our biggest worry was having traffic all the way up, especially between Barstow and Baker.  We had no traffic the entire way up, which surprised us for a Friday.  We figured the traffic had yet to come, and we were lucky to miss it.  When we arrived in Vegas, we checked into our hotel (Motel 6 Tropicana), and we headed out on the town.  We got into contact with Scotty's step-brother, Scott, and picked him up to join us.  He lived in the north west of the city.  Neither of us had been to the historic part of Las Vegas, Fremont Street.  Scotty's parents had said that place was cool to see, so we adventured off to Fremont Street.  Right away, we stop off at a small bar just across from Heart Attack Grill to have our first drinks of the night.  We started walking down the crowded street.  The streets were filled with families on vacation, older aged people, people dressed in costumes, women dressed in sexy outfits wearing as little as possible, and others.  We didn't really stop to see anything, we just walked all the way through.  While walking through, the overhead screen over the street ran a rock video.  It was alright to see, but not something to get excited over.  We spent only about 30 minutes total on the fremont street.  I would have spent some time to take photographs if I was alone or had a different style trip, but this was not that kind of trip.  We left and headed for the strip.  We parked back at our hotel and walked the south end of the main strip.  The only disturbing people we had seen that night was right when we were walking from our hotel to the strip.  We had some old discussing lady ask us for a cigarette.  She was so desperate for one, she had offered to give blow jobs, right there on the street, to get her hands on a cigarette.  We just got plain out disgusted by that offer from this person and we picked up the pace to get away from that lady as fast as possible.  There was no way we would even think of having a person like that anywhere near our junk.  We stayed around the south section of the strip that night.  Stopping to get drinks.  We went down to Mandala Bay up to the Aria in City Center.  We were out on the strip from around 8:30 to 3:30 am.  We had a long day planed on Saturday and we wanted to get some rest.  Scotty and Scott got drunk that night.  I remained on a good buzz.  I did not have the money to drink enough to get drunk, and didn't prefer to get drunk on the trip.


Saturday was a long but amazing day.  Scotty and I were the first to awake.  Scott was still passed out on the bed.  He had seemed to be up later than us due to a intense nose bleed he had gotten.  Scotty and I were hungry, so we drove over to the MGM Grand across the street to get food (was in no mood to walk).  Before we left, Scotty took a drink of pedialyte that he and brought to help him recover from being drunk.  We got to order our food, sat down to eat.  Only issues I was experiencing was tiredness from the night before.  Scotty on the other had has been slowly suffering since he took that drink of pedialyte, and was unable to eat any of his food past the first bite.  I decided to scarf down my food, and get back to our hotel.  Right as we got back into the hotel room, Scotty had vomited violently.  He didn't have much time to recover, for we left the hotel about 15 minutes later to head to the Stratosphere.  Scotty jumped off the top of the building while Scott and I watched.  Afterwards, Scotty and I dropped off Scott back at their Uncle's house, then headed to the Las Vegas Speedway.  We went to the Vegas Exotic Racing Company.  Scotty had planned to drive a lower end super car around the track with a trainer.  He was also night enough to pay for me to have a ride along in a Corvette ZR6 with a retired professional race car driver.  We sent the entire afternoon at the track.  I had let Scotty do his thing first while I waited.  As he did his thing, I can hear and see the constant noise of the rubber burning as the Corvette ZR6 was drifting around corners at high speeds.  My heart was pounding greatly as it got closer to my ride.  Finally, after Scotty was done, I had to step up.  I got in the car, had a brief conversation with the driver.  Found out he went to Cal State San Bernardino.  Then we took off at high speeds on the track.  The feelings were different than I expected.  Instead of being feared of my drive, it felt real exciting as we drifted around tight corners and passing the other cars on the tracks.  I only went on a 2 lap ride.  It was over before I knew it.  I got out of the car shaking from adrenalin  pumping through my body.  It was a great ride.  It was the fasted I had ever been in a car.  After an afternoon at the track, Scotty and I had am epic meal at In-N-Out, then went to the hotel were we rested up for another night on the track.  Scotty slept most of the time, while I spent a good amount of the rest time on the computer sharing my experiences that afternoon on facebook and twitter.  Around 7:30 pm we finished our afternoon rest, and we prepared to hit the strip.  Scott had arrived at the hotel at 8:00 but had locked his keys in the car, so we had to go to his house and back to fix that problem.  By time that was over, we hit the strip at 9:00.  We first headed back to the south end of the strip at the Luxor to start of with our slushy style drinks, and walked up from there.  We went up to Caesars Palace before heading back down the strip.  I didn't drink as much as the night before.  I had a small buzz and had gotten tired of alcohol.  Scotty and Scott drank the most.  We stayed out on the strip all night and got back to the hotel around 4:30am.  Scott went home and Scotty and I passed out in the hotel room.  


Sunday.  Before we went home, we went out to visit with Scott and their Uncle.  We had lunch, which was a chipotle chicken wrap from a local bagle place, and chilled until around 2 pm when we headed on the drive home.  Most people drive through the desert thinking there is nothing, but I find it quite interesting to see.  I love looking at the hold abandoned areas of the desert, along with the natural formations.  Got to see the Ivanpah Solar Generation Plant being built (which I wrote a major research paper about in school)  It was nice to see it in person rather than just reading about it.  One thing I found real disappointing was driving through Baker, and seeing the Largest Thermometer in the world in disrepair and not working.  I had memories as a child stopping in Baker to see the thermometer and have a meal at the restaurant at it's base.  Seeing it in disrepair made it a little sad.  We stopped in Barstow so Scotty can see an old time friend who lives up there.  While we were in this guys house, there were I believe 5 kittens where were always playing with each other and was a joy to watch.  After spending a few hours, we had left Barstow.  I had gotten home around 7pm.  I got home and packed up for the next 7 days I was to live on my aunts farm watching over the place while they went camping to Yosemite.  


This was a fun little weekend getaway.  It was nice to hang out with Scotty and Scott.  With my school schedule and 4-H schedule very busy,  I don't have much time to hang out with friends, so this was a nice break. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Earning a Masters During a Global Crisis

Reflecting on 2016

Coming Out