2012 Memorial Day Weekend

     I believe since 2004, I have spent my memorial day weekend traveling up to UC Davis for the California 4-H State Field Day.  Unlike the past few years, this year was a shorter trip.  This year, the trip was a three day trip.  Friday we drove up.  Saturday was the event, and Sunday we enjoyed ourselves for a little while before heading back home in the afternoon.  


     This year, we did not get on the road until around 12:30pm, which is way later than usual.  I had my math class that morning, and my sister Ashley had two classes.  I woke up early to drive her to school, chilled for an hour until my class started, then after class come home to pack.  My dad and I got my car packed, then headed on out to my school to pick my sister up.  From there, we stopped to have lunch at Del Taco, then hit the road.  My biggest fear was running into memorial day weekend traffic in the grapevine.  We did not run into any traffic the entire trip up.  Not even when getting into downtown Stockton around 6:00 pm which was very shocking.  It took us 6 1/2 hours with stops to make it up to Sacramento.  The drive wasn't bad at all.  Most of the Central Valley had a good amount of clouds, which gave us something to look at.  There were times we ran into some rain, but not for long.  There were other times we saw massive thunderstorms to the east of the I-5 dumping a massive amount of rain and having a show of lightning hit the ground.  It was awesome to see, and we were glad we were not driving through that major storm.  Only things that tended to get on my nerves was my dad.  Always complained that the music was too loud, which it wasn't loud at all.  If we could hear the words of the songs, it was too loud and he complained for me to turn it down.  Naturally, I didn't listen for most of that.  He also drove me nuts every time we saw a police car/motorcycle.  He had seemed to think I was speeding each time we saw one.  Most of the trip I had my cruise control on set to 75 mph.  We had made it to our hotel, (Super 8 Sacramento Airport off I-80 at West El Centro Rd), got checked in, ate an awesome dinner at Black Bear Diner right across the street, and settled in for the night.


     Had to wake up around 5:30 to get ready.  The three of us got dressed, drove through Mc Donalds to get some breakfast, stopped off at Starbucks afterwards to get our morning coffee, then drove over to UC Davis.  We got there at 7:00 am, with the main purpose to grab tables before the run out.  This is the third year that I had ran the CA 4-H Photography Contest (Created in in 2010).  My dad was their to be a judge and my sister came along to help with tallying up the judging sheets.  My ex girlfriend, Sarah, and come out to help with tallying and logistics as well.  Things picked up fast at check in.  We were expecting 126 youth to bring in 233 photographs.  We were in the hallway of Hart Hall at UC Davis.  Next door at Wellman Hall, was where the majority of the activities at Field Day were taking place.  All but 21 youth had shown up to turn in their photographs.  We closed the doors at 9:30, and I had my judges prepare for judging.  I had a professional photographer, an fine arts background person (who works for the 4-H Foundation who I bet at the Western Region Science Academy a few months before), two UC Davis students in the campus photography club, and my dad (a hobbyist) judge the photographs.  I also had my friend and fellow tech team member Daniel help with logistics, and his girl friend helped out as well.  Judging had ended around 1:30, which was the earliest in the past three years, and was able to have the contest gallery open for viewing until 3:50.  Check-out was from 4-5 pm, and we had all but four photographs picked up.  This year's contest went real smooth, and made things amazing.  Can't wait until I run the next years photography contest.  


     After the photography contest was over, we gathered up with the Imperial County 4-H gang.  Many of them have become awesome friends over the years.  The Smith Family (Maryann and Jeanine) where there, mom and sister of Matthew (one of my best friends), and their friends where there which have become my friends as well.  In fact, I feel as if these people are more than friends, but family to me.  We all huddled around and decided where we were to have our traditional after State Field Day dinner.  People wanted to go to Joe's Crab Shack like we had done two years ago, but others did not want to brave the Jazz Festival in Old Sacramento to eat there.  We had decided on Red Lobster near Cal Expo Fairgrounds.  All 25 of us went right to Red Lobster.  We had a good hour and a half wait to be seated, but we honestly did not care.  We all chilled in the waiting room enjoying each others company filled with conversation, laughter, and resting after a very long day of work.  It was great to be with the Imperial gang, and I so wish we had changes to hang out more often.  Dinner lasted about two hours, and we all just had a great time.  Afterwards, we said our goodbyes and headed out our own ways. They had taken the train, and will be leaving very early the next day.  That night, they wanted to drop off their rental cars at the airport, so I agreed to pick them up and take them back to their hotel in West Sacramento since I know the area quite well.  While heading out to the cars, we had learned that my ex girlfriend, Sarah, has planned to stay the night with us at the hotel instead of going home.  This had us by surprise, and honestly did not expect that to happen for we never invited her to join us for the night.  We got back to the hotel, and figured out sleeping arrangements.  I was too tired to care at that point, but she and I shared the bed.  As of right now I am not sure why I had agreed to that, but i was too tired to really think.  Everyone got settled in to go to bed, and I headed on out.  It was 10:30pm.  I went to the rental car terminal at the Sacramento Airport to wait to pick up a few of the Imperial County People.  They had shown up around 11:35, and I took them back to their hotel before going back to mine.  I had returned and my dad was still awake, but Sarah and Ashley seemed to be asleep.  I laid on top of the sheets and stayed to the ledge of the bed and attempted to go to sleep.  It was very hard to go to sleep that night.  It was very hot in the room, and with having my ex close to me made things more uncomfortable for I stayed as clear as possible from her.  At that point I wanted to move to the floor.  Because of my nice nature, I didn't want to hurt her feelings by moving to the floor.  Not sure why, but that happened that way.  After what felt like a few hours, I finally passed out.  


     Sunday morning, I woke up around 8, and everyone else started to afterwards.  We got packed up and prepared to check out of the hotel.  Our plan is to just have an easy morning in downtown Sacramento.  I am going to take every one to Crepeville, a great restaurant in midtown Sacramento for breakfast.  Learned about it last fall when up in Sac town for Greg's Funeral.  After we relaxed, had breakfast and our coffee enjoying the beautiful spring day, we decided to walk around to look at a few shops and explore.  We ended up going to the State Capitol, and I wanted to go in.  My sister tried to fight about not going in, but we did anyway.  It was nice to see the inside of our state capitol, for the last time I was inside was when I attended California Focus (a 4-H government conference) in 2003.  After exploring the capitol, we headed back to drop Sarah off and then headed on the road.  Didn't hit much traffic, but took us longer to get home because our stops lasted longer than on the way up.


     It was a good weekend, and though it was tiring, I am glad that the photography contest was a great success.


     

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Earning a Masters During a Global Crisis

Reflecting on 2016

Coming Out