4th Annual Yosemite Trip

For those who don't know, since 2007 I have been in Yosemite National Park the first week of June, camping with my Aunt and her family for seven days.  This year would be a different trip, for my Aunt's family decided to not camp this June.  A few months ago, I was working up my travel arrangements for the 2010 State 4-H Field Day, and decided to check if any cabins were still available at Curry Village.  Lucky, they had plenty of cabins available, so I went ahead and booked it.  At that moment, I have decided to try to make a tradition to be in Yosemite the first week of June every year, for Yosemite is one of my most favorite places on this earth. I decided to invite my sister along, for she has been wanting to go to Yosemite for the past few years, but was never able to make the trip.  Below are the details of this short, but refreshing trip to Yosemite.





Ashley and I woke up early in our hotel room, so that we can hit the road for the three hour drive to Yosemite Valley from Sacramento.  We ended up leaving at 9am on May 31st.  The drive was just the normal drive, except for the extremely slow drivers who don't have any respect for the other drivers behind them.  I hate people who drive up any mountain, has 10-20 cars stuck behind that slow moving vehicle, and decided not to be kind to use the turn outs to allow us to pass.  It got so bad, that the old man driving behind me continued to honk his horn and shin his lights every two minutes, thinking it would make a difference.  All it ended up doing is piss me off, for he was really getting on my nerves.  This lasted for 10 miles up the mountain into the Sierra Nevadas.  When we finally got to the park entrance, I began to smile and get excited to see the Valley again.  The first thing we saw was Half Dome, standing high above the surrounding mountains, almost as if half dome was the mighty protector watching over all the other peaks.  I became real excited at that moment, and as we finally got into Yosemite Valley, I just had to blare some music that would help inspire the mood.  I decided to blare music from the soundtrack of Avatar.  Just driving down the valley roads with the lush green trees on each side was a beautiful site all of its own.  I can see why the drivers of the valley shuttles stand that job.


We parked at Curry Village, collected up all of our food, and placed them in the bear proof containers.  Since we couldn't check into our cabins, we first walked around Curry Village, then got on the shuttle for Yosemite Village.  Our first mission was to have lunch, then purchase post cards for Amanda (My cousin who is currently stationed in Afghanistan--See post before this one), and ship them from the post office.  We had lunch at the Yosemite Village Grill, the best thing was the sweet potato fries, then we went to the post office to realize that since it was Memorial Day, the post office was closed.  We next stopped off at the Ansel Adams Gallery.  I just look at his official prints on the wall, and plan to someday save enough money to buy one to hang at my house.  Unframed they cost $225.  


After the Ansel Adams Gallery, we decided to skip the other things to do at Yosemite Village, and go see Yosemite Falls.  We decided to walk the longer path around to the lower falls viewing plate form.  Its more enjoyable to walk over all the little rivers that get created form the falls.  As we got closer to the falls, you can just feel the temperature of the air drop dramatically, being kept cool by the freezing water of the falls, which is fresh snow melt from the high Sierras.  We got to the viewing platform, and you can just feel the raw power of the water crashing down on the rocks.  Mist was flying through the air getting us wet, and our cameras, and the water falling creates a powerful wind that just gives you a bad hair day.  I walked over the the bridge over the water that just came from the waterfall, and took my sun glasses off, closed my eyes and just relaxed and took in all of the forces coming from the falls.  The mist just spraying onto my face, I could taste the fresh water when it hits my lips.  The roar of the crashing water and the gusting wind just put me into a zone to were I felt I was completely alone, and no one was near me.  At this point, it was the best feeling in the world.  Everything seemed to disappear and It was just me and mother nature.  This moment lasted for about a minute but it felt as if life stood still for 30 mins.  There are many, including the Native Americans that used to live in the valley, claim that there is a spirit of Yosemite, and if there was, this would be the moment on the trip I fully connected with this spirit, and it fully detoxed my soul from all the troubles and stress of live, and refreshed myself to feel like I was just a new person inside.  


With all the excitement from Yosemite Falls, we decided to take a hike to Mirror Lake.  We killed a few hours hiking the main road up to the lake.  We sat there quietly for a few moments to take in all that mother nature has to offer, which you could hear the roar of the waters at Happy Isles and the hundreds of birds singing in the air along with the wind blowing through the tree tops.  We hiked back on the Yosemite Loop Trail.


We headed back to Curry Village to check in.  This would be the first time that I stayed in a Canvas Tent Cabin.  We got checked into cabin 446.  We went to the car, grabbed all our stuff, put everything in the cabin and bear proof food container.  After we got settled in, we went to have Pasta for dinner at the Yosemite Lodge Food Court, then went back to the cabin.  We went to the lodge to chill for a bit.  Ashley read a book, and I browsed the internet with my ipod touch.  We then decided to walk around the meadows by Curry Village, for it was past sunset and deer tend to be out feeding at that time.  We spent a full 30 mins out in the meadows.  We watched the deer feed, and we got about 10 feet from a female deer, and later on, a male deer came really close to us.  We were about one foot away from the deer.  We stood real still, for we didn't want to look as a treat to the deer.  That deer stayed right there and fed while we watched.  It was starting to get super dark in the valley when we headed back to the cabin.  We didn't have flashlights so we didn't want to get caught out in the pitch black.  We chilled in the cabin, playing monopoly on my ipod while listening to Lady Gaga.  I won!  Then we went to sleep.


The next morning, we woke up, ate breakfast, packed up everything into my car, and checked out of the cabin by 9:00 am.  Afterwards, we started the day out with heading over to Yosemite Village to check out everything we didn't see from looking at the visitor center, the native american museum, and the old cemetery.  Never knew there was an cemetery in the valley.  For some reason, I always enjoy going through old historic cemeteries.  I did like the fact I saw the resting place of Galen Clark, who was the first settler to discover the Maraposa Grove and Yosemite Valley.  He was the person who helped get Yosemite protected by President Lincoln under the Yosemite Grant.  He also was the first Yosemite Guardian.  It was nice to pay my respects to the person responsible to help protect Yosemite.  After going through the village, we walked on over passed the Yosemite Falls, and walked around in the Meadows around Swinging Bridge.  I found this small dirt path that took you right through the meadow.  We had to hike it single file, and I didn't think we were supposed to be on that path, but I wanted to go.  We spent a hour our exploring the meadows.  It was so perfect with the view of Yosemite Falls, to the sounds of the falls crashing along the hard granite cliff side, to the hundreds of birds just singing away into the day light.  


After adventuring into the Meadows, we returned to the Yosemite Lodge for lunch, then decided to experience the lower Yosemite Falls one more time.  We headed back to Curry Village, and chilled on the outside porch of the lounge in rocking chairs.  I was on the internet with my ipod along with enjoying an iced tea and Ashley was reading.  While we were there, a guy started playing a guitar, and so we had some nice music to listen to as we rested and enjoyed the perfect weather.  After resting for an hour, we got in the car, and started our way towards Merced.  We stopped at Valley View, Tunnel View, and Bridalveil Fall on the way out.  I have to say, Bridalveil was another great experience in the valley.  The wind was pushing the mist right into the vista view point, and even past that.  When you got half way there, mist started to get you wet, and it felt as if the path way itself was its own river.  By the time you got to the vista point, you felt as if you were in a shower.  It was as if it was raining with no clouds outside.  I LOVED IT.  I just took in all the cold water, and it was just so enjoyable.  It was the best.  If I didn't have my Nikon D90 with me, I would of stayed a long longer, but the camera got wet, and I didn't want to get ie more wet than it was. Thank god it is somewhat weather proof.  I was so in my zone at that point.  After that, we drove on down to Merced, and that was the end of our trip.

This year was a short trip, and it was mainly due to the fact I couldn't afford to stay another few nights in the Valley.  Next year I hope to stay a few more days if the camping trip doesn't happen.  We shall see.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Earning a Masters During a Global Crisis

Reflecting on 2016

Coming Out