Unenjoyable Heart Rock Hike & Lake Arrowhead Trip

2012 Summer Series: Blog postings of my summer experiences of 2012.  I had become busy enough to not have time to write about most of my summer until now.  The blogs wont be in full details like other years, and mainly because of my lack of time to write.  Most my time is focused on school.

July 25, 2012

After having a 15 day stretch of traveling in the summer, things had slowed down. As I start to stay home, I get bored and dream of traveling. I start to get a little crazy at times. I have been hanging out with Jane and old acquaintances from High School; Jessica and John (known as twig). Jane and I had the urge to go up to the mountains, and had invited Jessica and twig to come along. The plan was to hike to Heart Rock, enjoy some lunch and being in nature, then possibly head to Lake Arrowhead Village. For me, Heart Rock was going to be the highlight of the trip. Hiking through the forest, listening to the sounds of Seeley Creek, and go swimming while having good times. Out of this hike, I only had a few moments of enjoyment.

While in the planning process for the trip, I had mentioned to them about the hiking trail including what to expect. I wasn't to worried because I knew Jane would explain the trail condition since she has been to Heart Rock before. Driving up there together was going to be another issue. Jessica was hoping to bring her child along, who I believe was just about to turn 2. We wouldn't have enough room for all, so I asked my mom to use her car. Lucky for me, my mom had said yes. Things were all in place.

We all met at Jessica's house near Clement Middle School in Redlands. As we were packing up, it had seemed that Jessica decided to drive her, her child, and twig. This shocked Jane and I, and made it pointless to have my moms car. I shrugged it off, and kept my spirits up. Jane rode with me up the mtn while Jessica followed behind me.

As we were unpacking the cars at the trail head, I had noticed Jessica taking out a baby stroller. I knew that wasn't going to work. I had advised them against it, but they felt it would be find. They also decided to take an ice chest, which I don't see as a problem, but it was quite heavy. I knew things wouldn't be that great hiking down to the swimming hole just north of Heart Rock.  We had managed to get almost the entire way with the baby stroller.  Had to stop, and life the stroller many times over rocks, roots, and very narrow sections of the trail.  This had become the longest it had ever taken for me to get to Heart Rock.  Even with 50 camper's from camp on the trail didn't take this long.  We had left the stroller where the trail forks to the Heart Rock view point and towards the swimming hole.  He had gotten to the swimming hole after looking at Heart Rock, and was finally time to relax a little.

From everyone who was here, I was the most appreciated of nature.  With that aspect, I would like to be there as much as possible.  This time, I had brought my swim suit, and I went into the swimming hole.  The water was cold, but it felt good compared to the 100 degree weather down the mountain.  The excited part was me attempting to count the amount of fish that was in the swimming hole.  I had counted about 2 dozen fish, which was a surprising find for me.  While in the water, I ate lunch, and chilled with everyone.  I was hoping to stay as long as possible down there, for I was dreading the hike back.  We only spent about 45 minutes at the swimming hole.  Everyone else wanted to leave and go to Lake Arrowhead Village.  We had left.  This time, no stroller.  I had to carry the stroller the entire way back to the car.  Hiking for me is a time to absorb the environment around me, and to enjoy the outdoors.  This was not an enjoyable hike.  

We got to the cars, and headed to Lake Arrowhead Village.  We walked around.  Had the idea of go on the boat tour around the lake.  The boat tour was alright.  I always have enjoyed being on boats.  Did learn a few historical facts about Lake Arrowhead which I found interesting.  Afterwards, we got back in the cars and headed home.  The day wasn't the relaxing awesome day that I had thought it would be, but it did have some of it's moments.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Earning a Masters During a Global Crisis

Reflecting on 2016

Coming Out