Turning at the Crossroad

     My life journey has come across a crossroad; probably the largest crossroad I have come across yet.  A month ago, while checking an email at work, I have learned that a season Ranger position at Bluff Lake Reserve was needed.  Since my Naturalist position ends in June, I decided to apply for the Ranger position.  At the time I applied, I did not realize this Ranger position would put me down a different path than originally thought.  I interviewed for the position, and last week I have learned that I was selected.  I can not begin to explain the amount of joy that came to me from hearing this great news.  As Ranger, I will live in a trailer at Bluff Lake Reserve (near Big Bear Lake) in the San Bernardino Mountains for the summer months.  On my days off, I will return home.  I will have very limited cell reception, no internet access, and may possibly be alone days at a time.  For someone who has lived in an suburban environment their entire life, this Ranger position will push me out of my comfort zone.  Around 75% of the job will be public relations.  Talk to the visitors, share with them the information about property and The Wildlands Conservancy, and answer any questions they may have.  The remaining 25% will be enforcing the rules, ensure the safety of the public, opening/closing the reserve, studying to learn more about the ecology of the region, and possibly work on conservation projects.  I will be on the clock during the hours the reserve is open to the public.  When the reserve is closed, it is personal time.  This is the time period I am worried about.  With no means of communication through internet or cell phones, I will have to find ways to keep me busy.  I purchased a Nintendo 3DS XL and a few games to play and two nature/animal coloring books along with 72 coloring pencils.  I know this won't be enough, but it will be something.  There are hiking trails near the reserve, like the back trail to Castle Rock.  I can go on those trails as long as I am only gone for two hours.  Everyone tells me to bring a large amounts of books.  For those who know me, I don't enjoy reading books as much, but this situation may encourage me to give books a better chance.  

     I had to make a sacrifice for this job.  A sacrifice I felt I wouldn't have to do for years down the road.  Since I would only be contactable two days a week, there was no way I could handle the amount of responsibility I currently hold in the 4-H program.  It took a few days to think about what I would have to leave behind.  I determined that there is one thing in the 4-H program I would have to give up right away.  Last week, I resigned as the Adult Conference Director/Adult Committee Chair to the South Section 4-H Teen Involvement Conference (TIC).  I have been going to TIC since 2002; been involved in the planning process since 2004.  This was an extremely hard choice for me.  I love this conference, and I enjoyed being the person to work with the youth to put on this conference.  I have been the Adult Conference Director for the past three years.  It was a challenge, but I was able to improve the conference to be more successful that it has been in over six years.  I resigned because it would be unfair to the youth to have an adult adviser they can't contact at any time.  It would be hard to keep track of all the contacts for the conference, and to be their to ensure the policies are followed.  I had to let it go.  Good news is that I will remain on the committee, still go to the conference, and act as a resource.  In the summer, another 4-H responsibility of mine will be ending.  Not because of this job itself, but because I knew it was my time to move on to work more towards building my future.   At the end of July, I will be leaving the California 4-H Technology Leadership Team.  I have been on the team for 10 years.  It was an amazing experience, and I will miss it greatly.  A good leader knows when they should step back, and leaving these two major 4-H responsibilities is a sign of my good leadership.  

     Becoming Ranger may be only for a few months, but it will help me grow and gain experience in the field of environmental conservation.  This is the field I have dreamed of being in since High School.  The last question of the interview for this position was asking what I see my future being after the Ranger position ends.  I told them I was unsure, but I would love to remain in The Wildlands Conservancy, for this is the field I dream to work in.  Majority of the people who has been Ranger at Bluff Lake has moved on to full time ranger positions elsewhere in the conservancy, and have moved up into management positions.   I am hoping that I will be able to more forward in the conservancy like they have, and end up in a career that leads me to great things.

     This Ranger position is going to be a great opportunity for me.  It has caused a turn at the crossroad on my life journey, and it feels it is the best turn I could make.  Can not wait to get up there.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Earning a Masters During a Global Crisis

Reflecting on 2016

Coming Out