The right path?

Ever since 11th grade, I have fallen in love with environmental science.  It was that year of high school that i decided I would like to become an enviromental scientist as a career.  Later on in the 12th grade year, i decided to add on getting a maters degree in Geographical Information Systems (GIS), so that I can use that technology to help out the environment.  Three years have come since graduating from high school, and now that im going to school, i just took classes that i knew i needed to transfer to UC Riverside.  Now, im not too sure if i should continue down that path to be an environmentalist.  Many things have happened over the past three years since high school, in which change how i view myself, and what i should be doing on this planet.
     Within the past two months, I have started to think about my life, and realized that the things i love and do well in today is photography, computers, event planing and facilitating, public speaking, teaching, and helping others.  How can i base me chosing a degree in environmental science from taking one class from it that barley touches the surface of what is involved in that field.  Maybe it isn't the right path for me to go down.  Maybe the right path is to go down a path of skills that i have been building over time.  The only question would remain.  What degree?  I keep thinking to myself that photography would be the way to go, but the kind of photography I love dearly is nature photography, and lets face it, photography is one competative field.  I rather not get into that field and have to work extremely hard in order to do something that i consider a hobby and an art. 
     I love computers, but i don't think i want a general degree in computers or computer sciences.  Main reason, tons of people get that degree, and in some way, it is hard to find a job with the number of people who have that degree.  Teaching would be a fun one, the only problem there is I don' t think i can teach the same people every day for 5 days a week.  With 4-H i love teaching workshops on things that I know really well, like web design, photography, geocaching, GIS, eta.  But would I enjoy being a teacher?  I don't think so.  Maybe there is some type of degree to where I can combined computers with teaching, event planning and facilitating.  I love planning things.  Whenever i get bored, i start thinking of things to do, and will get planning right away.  With the major trips I have gone on with my friends, from the minute the idea comes up, i create a full game plan to see that happen.  For example, Tricia came up with an idea to go camping at the beach.  One week later, i had a camp ground, dates, costs, and all other details worked out.  I have been apart of planning a conference for 5 years in a row, me being in charge of that conference for one of those years.  I do great at planning and helping other planning that conference.  When it comes to work, i end up facilitating many events for youth, and i love running events along side of planning them. 
     I am coming to a point to where maybe I need to change my career goal, and aim to get a different degree.  But the main question is what degree would I get?  What college would I go to inorder to get that degree, and what professions would i possibly get from that degree.  I might be thinking about this alot more over the summer, and I would love any imput and ideas from anyone who would like to help.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Earning a Masters During a Global Crisis

Reflecting on 2016

Coming Out