Canada Part 1: Cattle Ranch

From July 24th to July 29th I was in Alberta, Canada.  The trip went really well and Im not too happy about being home.  I have decided to write 2 different blogs.  One when i was living with a family, then the second on the Alberta 4-h Club Week experience. 

My dad and I stayed overnight in a hotel right next to LAX on the 23rd since my flight left at 7:00 in the morning.  I needed to be at LAX at 4:30.  So we didn't want to wake up at 2 to get down there.  It was very strange being on Air Canada.  They spoke french and english...strange....lol

A person by the name of Lacy, who works at the Alberta 4-H Office, met me at the Calgary Airport.  We chilled for an hour or so to wait for Megan, the other californian to arrive.  Megan left with her host family, then it was off to the 4-H office.  I got to met all the staff and the people who where planning the club week I was going to be attending. 

I stayed with the Hanson Family.  They live in a town called Airdrie, just north of Calgary.  Travis, age 17, and Wyatt, age 14; came to pick me up from the 4-H office.  They wanted to pick me up from the airport, but the parents had a wedding they had to go to.  They live on a cattle ranch, and their house was very beautiful on the inside.  The kids rooms where in the basement.  I was givin Wyatt's room.  Since he was leaving the next day for a camp.  While the parents where gone, went to have some pizza, then play the farm game....which is a farmer's version of monopolly.  It was fun. 

The next day I got a tour of the farm, and we packed to go to Rocky Mountain House, where about 1/2 the Hanson Family was staying.  When we got up there, i got to meet all of Travis's 17 cuz's on the one side.  That day, I got to ride the horse with travis.  I got to ride his mom's horse named Little Joe.  He was a very good horse.  We rode to this very beautiful river and back.  I do say that this place is a very beautiful location.  Afterwards, we had bbq and chilled.  Then we packed up the horses and went to Caroline.  Where the cabin is.

The family build the cabin by themselfs, and there  is no power or plumming.  We had to use old lanterns, and candles to light up the inside at night time.  And if you had to go to the rest room what they call the washroom up there; you would have to go out to the back to the Out house.  That was an interesting experience staying in that cabin over night.  The next morning, we had breakfast, and then we headed off once again.  We had to collect up the 3 bulls in that area that are with their cows...since it is breading season, and take them back to the farm.  We got back home around 2 ish, then i helped travis feeding the other animals next door....they where out of town.   

The next day, travis and I took a drive out to the Banff area....which is the canadian rocky mountains....we didn't go into Banff since it cost money to go in there.  So we went all around.  And of course, i took photos. THe next day we just chilled on the farm, and that night, i tried some deer roast....OMG it was extremely good...sadly i was full from the chicken we had earlier.  We packed out things, and left for Club week the next day.  Which you will read about in my next blog that will be up soon.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Earning a Masters During a Global Crisis

Reflecting on 2016

Coming Out