Six Flags Magic Mountain

     This was a day that a few of my best friends have been waiting for quite sometime.  The day that they successfully got me to go to Six Flags Magic Mountain.  For as long as I can remember, I have said that I hate roller coasters.  Why?  I am not quite sure.  Growing up, there were rides I would refuse to go on including roller coasters or high intense rides at theme parks like Disneyland.  I never was a person that searched for thrills.  I get my thrills in other ways like in public speaking.  My best friend, Scotty, is an adrenaline junky.  He enjoys thrills, and roller coasters has been one of his favorite thrill seeking things since childhood.  Ever since I first met him in 2003, he has tried to get me to go to Magic Mountain with him.  After ten years, I finally gave in.  Not quite sure what made me finally agree to going, but I figure it was one of those moments when you just say fuck it, ill do it.  Scotty had created a plan for me to ride roller coasters from the least intensity and work my way up to see what I can handle.  

     Five of us ended up going.  Scotty, Jane, Charlie, Katie (Jane's new roommate), and myself.  As we got there, and I saw the coasters, I began to get nervous.  The large coasters that you can see as you approach the park became imitating.  To start off, Scotty, Charlie, and Katie had to ride one of the most craziest rides to get them pumped up since we are beginning on a lower end of the coasters for me.  As they went to ride that coaster, Jane and I headed to a coaster that Scotty considers for beginners.  The first roller coaster that I rode for the day was Goldrusher, a coaster that has been there since the opening of the park.  I handled the ride quite well.  No screams or anything.  I did have small freak outs at certain points, but for my first roller coaster ride in years, that is expected.  With the success of the ride, I was ready for more.  We were headed to our next coaster, and on the way we passed a ride called Roaring Rapids.  We decided to stop for a ride.  Since the day was going to be in the high 90s, going on this rapid water ride to get us wet sounded amazing.  After the refreshing ride, it was time to make it to the next step.  

     The next coaster I rode is called Revolution.  This coaster opened a few years after the park opened, and it was the first steel coaster with a 360 loop.  I was nervous about the loop.  Scotty said that I will be able to prepare for the loop since you can see the loop as we approach it.  As the ride started, it was obviously faster than Goldrusher, but the speed did not bother me.  The coaster was cool because it traveled through the tops of pine trees.  Once we went through the loop, things changed.  I saw the loop, and I prepared to expect to be upside down.  As we started going into the loop, I ended up closing my eyes, and tilted my head down.  This made the loop feel in a weird way, and I did not like that.  After the ride came to an end, and I got out, I was feeling a certain way that I have not experienced.  I needed to calm down.  As we left the coaster area, and went to the restroom, Scotty asked for me to show my hand.  I was shaking.  What I was feeling was an intense adrenaline rush.  The last time I had a adrenaline rush was when I was a passenger of a Corvette on a race track in Vegas a few years ago.  This was more intense, and since I have extremely rarely had this type of rush, I did not know how to handle it.  To give me a break, the group went to go ride a more intense ride I was not ready for.  Once they were finished, we went to go to Apocalypse, one of the wooden coasters in the park.  Sadly, when we got to the coaster, it was closed.  The group rode another coaster, then we took a break to go out to the car to eat lunch.  After lunch, I began to feel quite a bit better.  I did not eat a big breakfast that morning, and with the heat, I feel this did not make me feel that well.

     After lunch, the next coaster I rode was Colossus, a popular, historical wooden coaster that was one of the largest in it's days.  I was nervous.   Charlie kept yelling at me to keep my hands up, and I tried quite a bit.  As keeping them up, I would tend to shut my eyes as we went over the hills and I would freak out at the bottom of the hill.  I would bring my arms down for a few seconds in attempts to hold on, but then moved them right back up.  After Colossus, I had regained an adrenaline rush, but it was not as intense as Revolution.  It felt more like a good rush that enjoyed compared to the rush of Revolution.  Next to Colossus was Goliath.  I was interested in riding the coaster, until I got a good look at it from Colossus.  I figured the coaster was just a very big drop with a few turns after.  There were more drops and what looked like tight and fast turns.  The big dropped freaked me out a bit, but so did the rest of the coaster.  I had a good adrenaline rush, and I knew if I got on Goliath, I would feel the same as I did after Revolution.  I had freaked out, and Colossus would end up being the last coaster I rode for the day.  Another ride that I was thinking of trying was Superman, but the loud noise and the height freaked me out as well.  Mainly Jane and Scotty tried pushing me to ride more.  With me not wanting to ride anymore coasters, I got a feel that Jane and Scotty were beginning to become disappointed that I was not willing to ride anymore coasters.  We did go back to the rapids ride for the purpose to cool down again from the really hot day, but that was it.  

     We left the park at the end of the day, ate dinner at In N Out, and headed on home.  On the ride home, I began thinking that I should of tried to at least ride Superman, and gained a little hope that I should of tried Goliath.  Overall, this day was a big step, and I felt proud, for I did step out of my comfort zone to experience one of Scotty's enjoyments of roller coasters.  Since this day, I figure I will most likely not be afraid to ride a handful of coasters at other parks, like Disneyland and SeaWorld.  If I get more comfortable with other coasters, I know I will probably be able to return to Six Flags and give other coasters a chance.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Earning a Masters During a Global Crisis

Reflecting on 2016

Coming Out