Chillin with Jane and Mal in San Diego

     Two days ago, Jane and I headed down to San Diego to hang out, and to escape the 100 degree weather that was occurring at home.   At first, I had forgotten about heading down to San Diego, for I was coming home the night before from being with Sarah for 6 days (Coming in next blog post).  I told Jane the day before that I couldn't afford it, unless the reimbursement check from my last flight to the state tech team meeting had come in.  As luck would have it, my check did arrive.  I picked up Jane, then we headed to the bank so I can deposit my check, grabbed some food and gas, then headed on down to San Diego.  We were headed to Mission Beach.  Two people were supposed to meet us down at Mission Beach.  A friend of Janes, and another person we know, named Mallory, who is best friends with one of our friends Noelle.

     We got to Mission Beach around 1:30 in the afternoon.  The weather was a little warm for San Diego, but still nicer than the heat of being at home.  Jane and I walked from the parking lot to the start of the sand, stopped to use the restroom, then looked for places to set up.  First, I wanted to walk out on the Mission Bay jetty wall that was next to the beach.  We started walking on it, but Jane didn't want to go out there with her flip flops, so I came up with a back up plan.  We headed back to the car to drop off some stuff, then we walked to the Mission Point Park, to find a geocache hidden there.  It was only about a 1/4 of a mile walk.  As we walked close to the cache, I had noticed that there were a group of old men who were sitting at a picnicked table, and my iphone was pointing right to that area for the cache.  In my mind, I figured it was off because that was a bad place for a cache.  In front of the table was a light post and a bench on the pathway.  I decided to check out the light post, while using my body to block the sight of what im doing to the old guys.  I found nothing, so I was going to move towards the bench, when Jane pointed out in the bay in front of us and yelled seal.  I turned and I saw a seal in the water for a split second, then it dived.  Right as I started walking over to get a closer look for the seal, the old guys started yelling at me that it was over there, right were they were sitting.  I paused for a moment, then turned around.  It had seemed that the cache was under the table they were sitting at.  As I walked over, I had learned that one of the old guys in the group just happened to be the owner of the geocache.  I found the cache, talked to the owner, then we headed back to the beach.  Never have found a geocache were the owner was hanging out at the cache sight.  

     We went back to the car, got our stuff, and headed out to the beach.  We found a good spot close to the water, but a little ways from the tons of kelp that has been washed up on the shore.  I figured thats where the water would be at high tide.  We set up my mom's mexican blanket and the beach umbrella, and laid under the shade, enjoying the nice weather and soothing sound of the small waves crashing.  I had been tired from my trip the past 6 days, and so it felt night to just lay back, close my eyes, and relax.  After awhile, Jane wanted to go to the water, so we went over to the water.  This trip, I wasn't planning on officially swimming and getting too wet, since I didn't have a change of clothing, so I just got my feet and legs wet.  Got a little bit of my shorts wet.  While at the water, we had learned that Jane's friend got a flat tire and wasn't going to make it.  Later, our friend Mallory (Mal for short) called and said she would be arriving around 3.  Her husband was going to drop her off on route to work.  Mal arrived, and she joined us.  She brought some fresh baked cookies for us, which were amazing.  I have asked her for the recipe, we shall see if she shares. One things she did, which I thought was different in a good way was instead of just putting chocolate chips in the cookies, she chopped them into small pieces in a food processor before placing it in the cookie.  It was good that way, and will totally have to use that idea in the future.  

     We all went back to the water.  Mal had a swim suit, and we got far out in the water.  Jane decided she was going to go change into her swimming suit to join Mal.  When she returned, I was handed the camera to take photos of them in the water.  After awhile, they tried talking me into the water, but I really didn't want to because I didn't want to be wet when we where downtown.  After a little while, I was tempted to, and I knew all my clothing would dry enough, since I was just wearing a t-shirt and sport shorts, for downtown later, except my underwear.  I headed over to the changing area in the bathroom to take off my underwear, then went into the water.  It was a good decision because even though the water was cold at first, I got used to it fast and had a good time.  After an hour or so, we all out out, and started to dry and just hang out.  I went over to the outside shower real quick to wash off the salt water of my clothes, then ringed out my shirt to help it out.  It got to around 5:30 when the girls went to go change, and I got bored waiting for them so I packed up our stuff, and went over to the bathrooms.  After waiting some more, they finally came out, and I washed my feet, put my shoes on, and we left the beach to head downtown to have some dinner.

     We parked at the downtown Westfield Mall, since it was easy parking and close to the Gaslamp District.  Before we hit the streets, we went into the mall to validate our parking ticket at a machine, which would give us three free hours of parking, which was a good deal.  We walked on down fifth street, and stopped at our dinner destination, Dick's Last Resort.  I had been by this place many times but never have eaten there.  This place is great because you are treated like crap on purpose.  It was great.  The food was alittle on the expensive side, so I got the cheapest thing, which was a buffalo chicken ceaser salad.  It was a good salad, so I was happy I made that choice.  There were a group of mid aged guys that sat next to us, and they seemed to be nothing but sexist pigs.  I'm normally fine with guys being that way, since every guy tends to have those types of thoughts, but it seemed real rude for this type of restaurant.  The waiters treat you like crap, they aren't there to flirt with you and turn you on.  You want that, you should go to a hooters or strip club, which one was right next door.    Afterwards we walked around a little bit.  We decided to leave downtown, and drive east out to Spring Valley, where Mal lives.  We stopped at a liquor store on the way to her apartment complex.  

     It was around 10 pm when we got to her apartment.  She real badly wanted to do swimming in the pool, so we took some liquor and her dog, then headed to the swimming pool.  When we got there, three guys that lives there were hanging out and drinking as well.  Jane and Mal had made some drinks and chilled for awhile.  I put my feet in the pool and was texting Sarah for a little bit, but that stopped because she wasn't in the mood to talk, since she had a bad day.  After about an hour and a half, the pool water looked very tempting to swim in, and it was a little warm too, but I didn't want to get in because it is dark, and I didn't want to be wet driving home.  After about another half hour, the three guys had left, and Jane and Mal jumped into the pool.  I really really wanted to jump in.  Jane and Mal insisted that I jump in, and told me to just take my shirt off and jump in.  I stood at the pools edge and looked at the water.  I had to think for a few moments.  Mainly to build up strength to take off my shirt.  It literary has been about 12 years since I have had my shirt off in public to go swimming or in front of anyone for that matter, because I am embarrassed about myself since I am over weight, and don't like how I look in the mirror.  I then said fuck it, took my shirt off and jumped right in.  The water felt amazing, and I was glad I did it.  I have to say, of those three guys were there, or it was someone else there I wouldn't have taken it off.  From doing this, does it mean I wont have that insecurity anymore?  Oh hell no.  That will be my insecurity for a very long time, until im skinny.  Which im slowly on my way.  I have lost 20 pounds in the past year.  Anyway.  After swimming for a good two hours, we got out, and headed over to the jacuzzi.  After a long swim, the warm water felt supper good.  I was the first to get in.  Jane and Mal still was swimming.  They didn't get in for another 15 or so mins.  It was very very relaxing.  After awhile, I got too hot, so I got out and just sat at the rim and still chilled.  After awhile, I started getting tired, so I walked over to the table to check my phone.  It was 2:15am.  We started to dry off, and we headed back to the apartment.  Of course I put my shirt back on.  No way was I gonna leave the area without it on.  

     We had finally left San Diego at 3am.  I got super hungry as we left, so I stopped at a Jack in a Box off Mira Mesa Blvd, then headed home.  I dropped off Jane and went to bed at 5 am.  I woke up at 1pm, and felt super tired for the entire day.  Later that night, I had learned that a major power outage hit San Diego City and county, and 6 million people had no power.  I was so glad that didn't happen when we were in San Diego, because things would have been a mess.  It was a great and relaxing trip.  And this would be the last trip of my summer, as far as I know.  Sorry I wrote this blog first before my labor day weekend trip, but I wanted to get this one out of the way, cuz this isn't one I will share with people that its been posted.  I don't do that to all my blogs.  Just some of the bigger ones.  Ones I figured people would care more about to read.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Earning a Masters During a Global Crisis

Reflecting on 2016

Coming Out