R.I.P. sbc4h.org

Today marks a sad day.  I had to shut down the San Bernardino County 4-H Website http://sbc4h.org, which I had created and ran since Aug. 5, 2004.  It began as a idea while attending a web design workshop at the 2004 California 4-h Technology Conference (Doesn't exist anymore).  After attending the workshop, which is were I started designs for my county website, I had decided to build a website for the San Bernardino County 4-H Program as a Emerald Star Project.  After spending a few months working a person named Cody Johnson to get all the information on the website, it opened to the public.

Over the next several years, I fully ran the county website, creating better designs as I learned more about web design.  Each new design would make the website more user friendly over the years.  In summer 2009, I gained information that we would be losing our server space, and our websites would be down.  For a mad rush, I moved the website to google sites for a temp fix, incase the server would be shut down in a few days or so.  Afterwards, I began starting a new, even better design, but before long, it got shot down, for I got a request that our county is moving back to use a CMS system provided by the University Cooperative Extension.  I personally felt it was a mistake to make this decision, but they said the state wanted them using this system to give 4-H more of a symbol.

All I have to say, is that this takes out all the individuality from the 4-H program, and shoots down 4-H members hopes to build 4-H websites.  I have ran this website for 6 years! I have spend hundreds of hours making it better and better and better.  It took 2 seconds to tell me I needed to shut it down.  I hope that someday in the future, I will be able to bring this website back.  At the moment, I have no real role in the San Bernardino 4-H Program, and I know the county office wants it that way.  With this action, I am highly considering to become a leader of Los Angeles County 4-H, for what SBC 4-H has put my family through over the past year and a 1/2, I feel I shouldn't support this program who has even tried to get rid of me as a volunteer.

R.I.P. SBC4H.ORG

Aug. 5, 2004-July 3,2010

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Earning a Masters During a Global Crisis

Reflecting on 2016

Coming Out