Wanna go to Vegas? Sure!

     I was sitting around bored at home.  Procrastinating from things I really needed to do.  State 4-H Leadership Conference was coming, and I needed to prepare.  I was playing Grand Theft Auto 5 on Thursday, August 7, when I got a text message from Jane.  She said that her aunt from New Jersey was in Vegas for one week at her timeshare.  She asked me if I would like to go with her to Vegas in two days.  Drive up on Saturday, stay the night, and drive home on Sunday.  At first, I wanted to say no.  I had thought I needed to stay home to prepare for SLC.  I also wasn't looking for a Vegas trip like the last trip.  Getting drunk, staying up all night, and recover during the day.  After giving the idea a few hours in my head, I decided to say sure! 

     On Saturday, we left for Vegas.  Around 5:00 pm.   We would have left earlier, but Jane had work.  I love driving in the desert.  Especially when little cars are on the road.  Many people fail to see the unique beauty that the desert holds.  After we pasted Baker, we noticed the most beautiful scene.  I was super pissed I did not bring my DSLR.  That night was a super moon.  The moon was rising above the desert mountains.  The desert mountains and valley floors were a beautiful red/yellow hue.  With those colors and the bright white full super moon was a rare sight.  Tried to take with our smart phones, but it was nowhere near how awesome it should be.  A prime example as to why you should always carry your camera with you.  That amazing moment lasted only for about 5 minutes, until the sun disappeared to the other side of the earth.  We arrived in Vegas around 8:00 pm.  The timeshare was located at Tahiti Village Resort on Las Vegas Blvd, south of the strip.  The resort was beautiful.  Felt new.  Jane's aunt had two rooms that connected together.  Jane and I got a room, which had a master bedroom, a bathroom, a living room, and a fridge, coffee pot.  The other room was the same but larger.  Had a dinning table and a full kitchen.  The first night, we stayed in the room.  We did leave for the hunt for alcohol.  We walked down to a liquor store on the other side of an outlet mall that was next to the resort.  It was closed.  I was surprised.  What liquor store closes at 9:00 pm in Vegas?  A day in Vegas seems to begin as the sun sets and ends when the sun rises.  We gave up, walked to a gas station, got beer (I got two mike's harder lemonade) and we went back to just hang out and drink.  I ended up drinking both of my mike's and a beer.  That was enough to get me a little drunk.  I passed out on the pull out couch (without pulling the bed out).  



     The next morning, Jane and I woke up to McDonald's breakfast waiting for us in the kitchen.  Jane's aunt and uncle woke up early.  No surprise since they were on east coast time.  Both the aunt and uncle were very nice people.  They seemed to like who I was.  I am the first and only true friend to Jane they had met.  I had talked to the aunt once before this trip to Vegas.  Through social media the night that Jane broke her ankle on our last trip to Vegas.  She thanked me in person for being there for Jane, and knows that we will remain friends for years to come.  She told me to continue to watch out for her.  After waking up, it was time for us to be LAZY!  The resort had a swimming pool area and another area for a lazy river.  All I can say is FUCK YES!  I love lazy rivers.  We went down, grabbed a set of long chairs right at the edge of the lazy river, got some drinks (most of the time beer) and jumped on in.  We spent hours at the lazy river.  The only times we got out of the lazy river was to get more drinks, to eat lunch, or take a quick dip in the Jacuzzi.  We ate lunch around 2 pm at a restaurant at the resort.  We had pizza and garlic fries.  OMFG!  Those garlic fries were the best I had ever had.  It was heaven on a plate.  The pizza was not bad either.  After lunch, we jumped right back in.  After lunch, Jane and I began talking about not wanting to go home.  I sure didn't want to drive home.  I enjoyed being in this place, playing hooky from the normal life.  Jane had a hair appointment the next day scheduled with friends.  After we had been talking, we had decided to stay an extra day in Vegas, and go home on Monday instead of Sunday.  We were excited.  It was important since Jane had not seen her aunt in 8 years.  Around 5:30 pm, we finally got out of the lazy river, and headed back to the room.  Everyone took naps in their rooms.  The only person who did not was me.  I just sat around and browsed social media, watched youtube videos, and videos on Netflix on my phone for the rest of the night.  No one emerged later for dinner.  Jane showed up for a little while, but went back to her room. It was more of a lonely time for me.  I was relaxed, but it was that time that thoughts of problems came around.  I went to bed around 10:00 pm.   Didn't have any dinner that night.  Strangely, I wasn't as hungry as I thought I was, so it didn't bother me to much.  

     The next morning, we woke up earlier than on Sunday.  We were starving.  We went to eat breakfast at Denny's, which was located on the resort.  You can probably guess what we did after breakfast.  LAZY RIVER!  We spent another full day floating/swimming and drinking in the lazy river.  This time of year is monsoon season in the desert.  Vegas got hit that day with an edge of a massive thunderhead.  Lucky for us, the lightning stayed 10 miles away.  If the lightning hit in Vegas, we would have had to get out of the river.  We did experience strong winds while out there.  Once those winds hit, almost everyone got out of the lazy river.  I got out to check the lightning and radar maps on my phone.  A part of me hoped the lightning would hit, because I go crazy for lightning.  We stayed out with the winds for awhile.  The lazy river was filled with leaves from the landscaping in the area.  Didn't bother us too much.  The river was more quiet and more relaxing because of everyone who left due to the wind.  We stayed in the river until around 4:30 pm.  We headed up to the room for dinner.  Jane's uncle is an amazing cook.  He cooked dinner for us.  We had spaghetti with Vodka and crab meat, salad, and texas toast.  After dinner, we chilled for a little while, I took a shower, we packed up, said our goodbyes, and headed on the three hour drive home around 8:00 pm.  Driving home from Vegas at night was amazing.  We had a number of lightning storms on both sides of the road, mostly in Nevada and in California by the Mojave Preserve before reaching Baker.  If we had more time, I would have considered parking somewhere off road and just watch the lightning bolts hit the desert landscape.  In Baker, we stopped real quick to look at the World's Largest Thermometer.  For many years, it was out of commission, but it has recently been restored.  Not fully to it's originality, but its a working progress.  It was nice to see it running.  We got home around 11:30 pm.  It ended a last minute trip, and it was sure an amazing one.  It was needed.  Just to get away and do nothing but relax.  Enjoy good company and take a break from normal life.  It was very nice for Jane's aunt and uncle to let us stay with them, and to enjoy their company.  



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Earning a Masters During a Global Crisis

Reflecting on 2016

Coming Out