Religion Status?

     A few days ago, while in a conversation with an old 4-H friend, the question of what religion I follow came up.  Not a uncommon question, but a question in which I tend to not know the answer to.  When thinking of coming up with an answer, I get a sense of confusion if I should identify myself with a religion.  Does how I am raised define me towards a certain religion?  Does my moral beliefs identify my religion?  Can you identify yourself in a religion even if you are not practicing the religion?  

     Most of the time, when I am asked what religion I am, I have the quick answer to say Roman Catholic.  Is that a true answer?  When you are born, it seems standard that you are raised under the beliefs of your parents.  For my childhood, my sister and I were raised under my mom's beliefs more than my dads.  My mom is a Roman Catholic, and was raised under a strong Catholic lifestyle by my grandma.  I grew up following the Catholic ways and beliefs.  Holidays, like Christmas and Easter were most likely my first exposure towards the Catholic beliefs.  Being baptized would be another firsts towards the Catholic belief system.  When I was old enough, I was enrolled in a Sunday school program, where I was taught the moral beliefs and ways of the Catholic religion.  After classes were finished, we would go to Mass.  As a child, of course, you didn't really want to be at Mass.  I was more interested in playing outside with my friends.  Most of my childhood would be followed under the Catholic religion.  In my middle school days, that would slowly fade.  When you get older, bible studies of Sunday school would move over to Tuesday nights.  Things might have worked out well in the beginning, but with my 4-H schedule slowly becoming more busy, I ended up stopping going to bible studies.  Around the same time, conflict in the church was arising because off the issues of sexual abuse of alter boys by priests in other Catholic churches.  My mom had lost some trust in the church, and both my sister and I stopped going to Sunday/bible study school.  

     Of course, I had no idea about what was going on in the church, I was just busy with 4-H and preparing on moving on to High School.  It did not bother me at all to go to church.  In fact, I didn't care much about going to church, but I still did follow the beliefs of being a catholic.  I would still pray to god, and whatnot.  But, all of those things would slowly fade as I went through High School and got into college.  My beliefs would come towards two different angles.  I began understanding Science theories and began to follow my beliefs based of Science.   When it came towards God and religion, I did not think of it much except for when it came close to Easter and Christmas time.  The rest of the year, God is just there.  I don't pay attention to him.  I don't feel that God is control of my path and life.  I don't give my energy towards God or Jesus.  I know God is there, but that's it.  As if he is just another person that's in the background of your life.  The person that you see walking back on path in front of you, and you don't care.  I don't pay attention to the bible at all.  I am not a fan of reading, so that could be why.  Religion has become a very minimal to no existed thing in my life.  Does this mean I can't identify myself as a Catholic?  Even though some of my beliefs are influenced from the teachers I had learned when I was in bible study classes?  Can I still identify myself as a Catholic on the soul reason that I still acknowledge there is a God, but don't pay any attention to him?  Can I still consider myself as a Catholic solely on the fact that I follow my Christmas traditions as Catholic traditions to the holiday?  Lastly, if I can't identify myself as a Catholic because I am not practicing that religion, what would I be?  What would be the right answer to tell people when they ask what religion I am?  

     Everyone has their spiritual moments, or have dreams to experience certain spiritual moments in the future.  I think my last blog post on Naturalism can be one of those examples of a spiritual moment I would love to experience someday.  Does the type of spiritual moments you have define what religion you should fall under?  For those who know me quite well, I have a love for the natural environment.  I find joy in traveling and exploring the different natural environments.  Certain natural environments I love more than others.  I believe that protecting the environment is important, and that mankind is connected to nature.  Other than nature, I focus my time on working with others, having amazing experiences with others, and preparing myself to have a successful lifestyle down the road.  I believe that everyone, no matter on race, ethic background, sexual orientation, eta should be treated equal, and that we are all the same.  Each person deserves the same rights.  I work towards helping out my friends and family.  I help provide opportunities for youth to be successful in their own lives.  I believe we need to learn different cultures, respect them, and just enjoy life to the fullest.  Life is short.  Go out there and enjoy it.  People are are extremely religious drive me crazy.  Hours and hours are spent in worship towards a person's belief.  Is it worth it?  Why not spend those hours making a different in the world?  

     The thing I do not like about religion is the violence that goes with it.  For thousands of years, wars have been fought because of religion.  Man would use the power of religion to set forth their message and their own beliefs.  Sadly, it still happens today.  I feel that many people in a religion (not all, but many) will do anything to persuade people to follow in their beliefs.  This causes hatred towards those who do not follow the beliefs of a certain religion.  A prime example is the hatred towards the LGBT community.  Many to most religions belief it is a sin to be LGBT.  They will do whatever it takes to get that message out, and to fight to ensure the LGBT does not receive the same rights as everyone else in marriage.  Growing up, religions tell us that we need to be accepting of all people.  We are all Gods children.  We are all built based off his design.  These were what I was taught in bible study growing up.  Many people in the religion that preaches this belief does not follow.  They will treat those, like the LGBT, unequal.  Mainly because their lifestyle goes against their religious beliefs.  A part of me questions if it is really the people acting in best regrades towards the religion they belong too, or are they acting based off the manipulation of high power figures in their religion to get people to believe in what they believe.  That brings up the power of sin.  What is really a sin?  What would you really go to hell for?  Here in America, many people will use the treat that a certain action is a sin to attempt to get people to stop acting a certain way.  The biggest question is if those actions are really sins or does one high power figure in a religion goes against that certain action, and has manipulated people to think it is a sin.  This would put fear into the religion followers, and they would possibly stop this action. 

     Now I will say that there are many good actions that religions and their followers do.  And that is great!  There just seems to be certain things that go with religions today that I feel it not worth dealing with.  After typing these thoughts on here, my mind begins to put the things together.  It seems organized religion, in my opinion, is not the best route.  I feel it is possible to have faith and to not follow a certain religion.  You can still believe in God without being in a religion.  I have come to the understanding that God would want us to make a difference in each other's lives.  Be good to one another, and to live a fulfilling life.  I don't think God would want us to spend countless hours worshiping him, for there is other things we can do.  

     I think it has come to a realization that I still fall under being in the religion of a Catholic.  But, I would be a non-practicing Catholic.  I honestly believe it is the right way to go about it. I guess just writing and thinking about this topic has lead me to this conclusion.  This is possibly why I bring up a topic like this on a blog, just so I can type out my thoughts and come to a conclusion of who I am.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Earning a Masters During a Global Crisis

Reflecting on 2016

Coming Out