2012 Western Regional 4-H Science Academy

     I had volunteered to be a representative of the California 4-H Technology Leadership Team at a science summit of 4-H staff and faculty of the 13 western states.  Joining me in representation was another member of the tech team, Matthew Voss.  The summit, called the Western Regional 4-H Science Academy, was held at UC Davis from March 26-28.  The trip started just like the rest.  Woke up early, drove to the airport to catch a plane.  Once I land in Sacramento, things were different than normal.  


    I had no ride from the airport to Davis, so I had to take a super shuttle.  From hearing from other people, I knew there might be some confusion if I told them UC Davis as a drop off point, so I told them to be dropped off at Hallmark Inn, on F Street in downtown Davis.  The hotel that Matthew and I will be staying at on the trip.  As I checked in to get taken to Davis, I learned it would be a 45 min wait.  I had worried I would be late.  Matthew was headed into Davis by train (Amtrak), and he was delayed as well.  On my way to Davis, I sat next to someone who reminding me of a past tech team member, Cindy.  She asked me questions about 4-H including about comparing 4-H to other youth organizations.  Always fun to meet new people.  This person has friends all over the place.  She has been to some amazing places and had advise of how to follow my dreams.  She had been to the Galapagos Islands, along with many other places.  Her main advise is advise I have heard many times in the past.  It is not just what you know, it is who  you know.  I had given her my card, and now if she ever needed information, I was a new contact.  I figure that follows under the path of its who you know advise.  I had wished I was able to talk to her more, but it came time for me to be dropped off at the hotel.


     Right as I got dropped off at the hotel, I headed right to the train station, just around the corner from the hotel.  I wasn't sure at what time Matthew would arrive.  The academy check in started at 11, lunch at noon, and the event started at 1 pm.  We had to be there as close to noon as possible in order to set up our stuff.  I got to the train station at 11:45.  As I arrived, I received a text message from Matthew that his train was in Fairfield, and Davis was the next stop.  About 15 minutes had passed, and no train.  It was noon.  I received a text message from Steven Worker (Our Tech Team Adviser) asking where we were.  I had given him an update, and told him I would give updates when we head over to the campus.  About 5 mins later, Matthew had arrived.  


     We checked into the event.  The most exciting part was received a free 4gb flash drive that has documents in.  I know I wont need the information on the drives, but I will find a good use for the new hardware in the future.  After lunch, Matthew and I worked together to set up a computer and web cam (set on a tripod) in which we will use for streaming live the plenary sessions of the event.  Had some issues getting connected online, but after some work on the settings, everything worked well.


     During the first plenary session, I would have to sit at the computer making sure the video feed was going well, and controlling the audio in case someone gets a little loud.  This is the second time that the tech team had used live streaming.  Things went well.  Mostly.  Wish we had a full hd video camera instead of an hd web cam to do the streaming for better production value.


     The rest of the day at the event was filled with workshops on different topics that was more educator/staff oriented.  Our job for the TLT was to take photographs and video footage of the workshops.  The big issue was all of our photographs and videos were of people sitting around and talking.  After awhile it gets old fast.  I was only able to record about 15 mins of video footage, for the batteries were not charged before the event.  After our rounds, we sat around until it was time for a showcase.  At this showcase, many states had displays about projects they are currently working on in the science field.  Matthew and I were getting hungry, and wanted to leave as soon as possible to go have some dinner.  One things I found most interesting.  UC Davis was selling wine at the showcase.  I find it quite interesting since 4-H volunteers arn't allow to have wine or alcohol at volunteer only events, but then 4-H staff can have alcohol.  I find it quite ridiculous and unfair.  I was the only volunteer at this event, and Matthew was the only youth enrolled in the program who was in attendance.  We walked about for a while, and I talked to some of other California 4-H Staff at the event that I haven't seen in some time, and wanted to say hello.  During my talks to an awesome staff named Sandy fro Humboldt County, we were talking about how there should be a system that leaders can post variations of curriculum of projects online to add to the library that 4-H leaders can access all over the country.  The National 4-H Council had members at this event, and Sandy went to bring them into the conversation.  For the next hour, we had some nice conversations about different technologies that could make this work.


     After some good conversations, Matthew and I checked in with Steven, and afterwards we had left the event for the evening.  We walked back to the hotel to get dressed into casual clothing, then work on having dinner.  I had discovered that Davis got a Black Bear Diner, which was new.  We decided to have dinner there.  Which if you have never been, I would recommend.  Their food is really good.  I love their burgers.  After dinner, we chilled out in the hotel room, and went to bed at midnight.


     The next day we woke up to rain, which I was prepared for.  We walked back to UC Davis to get to breakfast.  The rain felt real relaxing.  After breakfast, we set up the equipment again for that day's plenary session.  This time around, I had problems.  Half way through the plenary, I left the computer to take some photographs.  When I returned, I realized it stopped recording the live streaming, and restarted.  The first hour of the plenary ended up lost, and wont be able to be viewed at an later date, which upset me.  Other than that issue, the rest of the day went well.  More workshops occurred afterwards.  While waiting in the conference headquarters, I had talked to National 4-H People about a social network created by 4-H called my4-H.org.  I created an account to check it out.  It seems to have worked real well, but I did not like that only staff and volunteers could be apart of the site.  Not any youth members, but national 4-H said that hopes to change after they get past social network policies between the different states in the country.  


     In the afternoon, there were campus tours, none of which I felt real interested in, but Matthew and I split up.  I went on the UC Davis Student Garden Tour, which wasn't a smart idea camera wise, as we would be outside in the rain.  At first we were in a lecture hall for about 30 mins.  At this time they were talking about curriculum, and I wasn't interested in any of that, so I ended up sitting in the back of the room and wishing we were out in the gardens.  Finally, we went outside to see the educational gardens, and the market research gardens that was in the property.  I found it hard holding an umbrella and a camera at the same time to take photographs, but I found a way.  It was real fun when we were going through the rain in muddy fields in dress pants.  I was proud of myself that I didn't get as muddy as I thought I would be.  After the tour, we had states night out.  For California, we had dinner at Village Pizza and Grill in downtown Davis.  Never been there, and I had a burger.  I had to say, it was one of the best burgers I have ever had.  I will go back in the future.  During the dinner, I met a California 4-H Foundation person who has experience in museum work, and her husband and son are professional photographers.  We talked about the 4-H photography contest and different ideas to improve it in the future.  It was one great talk, and we plan on talking via e-mail to work on improving the contest for the future.  After a great dinner with the California 4-H Staff, some of which I believe are very awesome people, Steven dropped Matthew and I off at the hotel so we could skip out of the rain, and we slowly went to bed.


     The next morning, it was misty outside.  We packed up, checked out of the hotel, and went to Davis.  After breakfast, we had some time until it was the last plenary, about two hours, so we first walked through downtown to get Matthew his train ticket reimbursed for he found a ride home instead.   Had a quick stop at the downtown starbucks on the way back on campus. Afterwards, we slowly walked back.  I noticed Davis had a downtown tree tour, and then we walked through the UC Davis Arboretum.  At this time, the sun was coming up, and it was nice and relaxing.  We got back to the academy, and we set up the live streaming.  After the event, we slowly packed up the technology, had a box lunch, and slowly left.  I had two hours before super shuttle picked me up, so I went to Pink Berry in downtown, and ate some yogurt while enjoying the nice outdoors.  I got a call from super shuttle that I could be picked up earlier to save time, which I was fine with.  I was picked up around an hour before the scheduled time, which was nice.  I got to the airport and flew home.


     This event might not has been as crazy as other events, but it was sure nice to meet other staff from other states and help them give ideas of how to improve education and events through technology.  It was also nice to meet National 4-H Council people.  This event took place during my spring break.  The rest of my spring break was quite, short, and spent at home.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Earning a Masters During a Global Crisis

Reflecting on 2016

Coming Out