A Weekend in NorCal

     This past weekend, I had traveled up to Sacramento, UC Davis, and the Yuba City area.   Originally I had a Technology Leadership Team meeting at the State 4-H Office.  Later, I added to the trip, and I was hanging out with my girl friend, Sarah, after the meeting for about 36 hours or so before I had to head back home.  This is the blog post of this past weekend.


     The morning started with my phone alarm waking me up at 4:30am.  I figured I would ignore the first alarm, so I set two others.  Out of surprise, I woke up at got out of bed with the first alarm.  The night before I went to sleep at 12:30am, so I figured I would be super tired.  I ate a bowl of cereal, took a shower, and finished packing.  I was out of the door by 5:30am.  I got to Ontario Airport at 6:00.  Because money was tight, I parked in the $9.00 a day parking lot that was east of the Southwest Terminal, which isn't bad since it is a short 5 minute walk from the terminal.  Normally, I don't print my boarding pass when I check in to my flight the day before, I tend to print it up at the airport.  When I walked through the doors, first thing I notice is the long line to head up to Security.  I started to get a little worried on time since my flight left at 7.  As I passed the security line, I noticed the line to check in at the Southwest counter.   There was about 50 people, which shocked me for this early of the morning on a Saturday.  I really didn't want to stand in line, and I started looking around.  I noticed that hidden to the side of the other kiosks was a stand alone kiosk in a separate line with no one in it.  I looked around for signs and noticed it was for those not checking in luggage.  I was relieved.  I went over to that side kiosk and got my boarding pass in less than a minute.  Now I had to wait in the long line to get up to the Security.  As I got at the end of the line, I noticed there was a security guy just waiting to check people's Id's right by the elevator.  They guy noticed me and waved me over.  He checked my id, and I went up the elevator to the security area.  I felt as I cut about 50 more people who were waiting in that line.  I was happy.  I got through security fast, and had time to chill before the flight started boarding.  I got on the plane, sat near the back left side as I always do, and fell asleep.


     As I woke up on the plane, I noticed UC Davis to the west of the plane.  After we passed Davis and Woodland, and the planed turned towards Sacramento, I noticed how flooded the area was, and how green the area was.  It has been raining up there, and it will end up raining the entire weekend up there.  We landed at 8:20, ten mins early.  At this point I was getting hungry again, because I had breakfast so early that morning.  I went downstairs to sit and wait.  One of the tech team members who lives in the greater Sacramento area was gonna pick me up, and I wasn't expecting to be picked up till closer to 9:30 since the meeting started at 10.  I sat for about 20 mins, then I decided to walk over to the Starbucks to buy something to eat.  Right as I get to the Starbucks, I get a phone call from my ride, saying that he was here.  I didn't get my food because I noticed him pulling up outside.  Daniel and I headed off to the State 4-H Office in Davis.  He has been there many times and he still didn't remember how to get there, so I had to be his personal GPS unit.  We arrived at the State Office 50 minutes before the meeting, so we just chilled in the car while it was raining.  At 9:30, our advisor, Steven Worker, arrived.  We got out of the car and headed into the State Office.  He had brought donuts and coffee, and since I was hungry, I just had to have one donut and of course get coffee because I was beginning to feel tired.  The rest of the team slowly showed up and we started the meeting.


     Before lunch, the meeting was mainly about business.  We worked up our plans for State Field Day, State Leadership Conference, and the direction the state is going with working up plans for a online record book.  At 12:00pm, we headed out for lunch, and went to one of my favorite mexican food places in Davis, Dos Coyote's.  I got chicken cheese enchiladas and chips to eat with them, which were yummy.  I love their salsa Verde there too.  Fellow team mates and I noticed that they had gotten a new soda machine, one we had never seen before.  There is a screen, and you just touch the soda you want, then push the button to get it.  Being a tech team, we really were excited about the awesomeness of the machine.  After lunch we headed back to the office, where we finished up some business, then we did a circuit building activity using breadboards.  I never had done something like this before.  We first made a circuit with a speaker and a plug in where we can play music from our ipods.  Then we added an amplifier to it to make it louder.  Afterwards, we created a transmitter to send music from one circuit to another wirelessly.  It was really interesting, and im not sure if I learned anything, but it was cool to do.  As the meeting was coming to an end, I messaged Sarah to see if she was near the office.  She had been parked outside for the past ten mins.  I packed up, said goodbye to my fellow teammates, then headed out to Sarah.  She and I drove up to her house in Olivehurst, which is just south of Yuba City.  An hour north of Sacramento.  


     When we got to Sarah's, the first thing I did was set up their wireless router for them, for they have been wanting to use Netflix on their wii for awhile, and they didn't know how to set up the wireless.  After setting it up, we set up the wii, and got it connected to the internet.  Afterwards, Sarah and I played a game of bowling.  I won with a score of 148, and she got somewhere in the 50's or 60's.  I don't remember.  Her mom came home, and they started working on dinner.  We got Netflix started up and I showed them how to use it.  As we started eating dinner, Sarah's mom left to go do a few things.  The rest of the night, Sarah and I ended up cuddling up on the couch under blankets and watching movies.  We stayed up till 1:00 that night.  The next day, I woke up around 9, two hours after Sarah had woken up.  I checked facebook, and then we watched some tv, then took a shower.  Afterwards, we were trying to figure out what to do, which wasn't much since it was raining.  We ended up just going out to lunch at Hometown Buffet in Yuba City.  While driving up to Yuba, we noticed that the Yuba River was flooding its banks, which was kinda crazy to see.  We first filled up her car with gas, which I paid for since she drove me around, and then we went to eat.  After eating, we went to a Super Walmart to guy grocerys.  We headed back to her house, where I gave her a map tour of things to do around my house, then went on a tangent about a trip going down the 395.  Sarah hasn't had much traveling around, and so it was all new for her.  I have to say that she will have many new traveling adventures with me!  After that, we went back to the couch to watch 2012, and then some south park.  Sarah would get up and start making dinner while the movie was going on.  We had a enchilada casserole with shrimp for dinner.  After dinner, it was time to head back to the airport.  We arrived 30 mins before I should go up through security, so we went to the cell phone lot to chill.  We listened to music and I ended up drawing a few smiley faces on her window and her sun roof. While hanging out, I got a text message from Southwest saying my flight was delayed an hour.  I was like great.  At 8:00, we headed over to the terminal, and we hugged goodbye, and I headed up to Security.  I printed up my boarding pass earlier that day, so I didn't have to deal with that.  
     
     The airport was packed, and the flights were a mess.  It had seemed the SoCal was hit hard by the storm, and they had been canceling and delaying flights all day.  My flight kept getting delayed.  My flight took off 10:30 instead of 9:00 like it was supposed to.  Originally my flight only had 30 people on it, but since flights into Burbank and San Diego had been canceled throughout the afternoon, many of those people decided to change plans to fly into Ontario, so our flight was jam packed.  We took off, and I fell asleep.  I awoke to mild turbulence, near what I thought was the end of the flight.  When we hit that turbulence, that means we were passing over the San Bernardino Mountains.  We started descending towards Ontario, then the plane stopped descending, and started crusing.  I knew that wasn't right.  I couldn't see were we were because we where in the clouds.  We started flying in a circle pattern, and at that point I knew something was wrong.  After about 25 mins, the captain finally announced that the storm had shifted a few times, and that the plane was ordered to change course a few times in the past 25 mins.  After 5 mins more, they finally got the ok to land into Ontario, and we started descending to land.  We landed at 12:15.  This ended up being the longest flight I have ever had from Sacramento.  It was supposed to be just an hour flight, and it ended up being close to 2 hours.  I got off the plane, and it was raining outside.  I had to walk through the rain to get to the car.  I got in the car, and I started driving home.  The 10 highway was a mess.  Everyone was driving 60 mph or less, and half of the time I was hydroplaning.  When I got into Rialto, the rain started coming down so hard I couldn't see anything infront of me, so I had to slow down to 30 mph on the freeway.  It stopped when I got into Redlands, and it picked back up between Highland and Redlands on the 210.  I finally got home at 1:00. Two hours later than what I should have.  I was very very tired, and I passed right out.  I wouldn't wake up till noon the next day.  This weekend was a long one but it was a good one, other than the traveling home part.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Earning a Masters During a Global Crisis

Reflecting on 2016

Coming Out